11.28.2011

2011 LA AUTO SHOW

Yesterday I had the pleasure of attending the LA Auto Show with my husband Jeff. I enjoyed it immensely, him - not so much!

So many cars to see, so little time. I made every effort to see and photograph as many vehicles as possible. But if there were too many people crowded around a particular car for long periods of time, my patience wore thin and I immediately moved on to the next car. Note to self: next time wear flats, not 2" clogs.

Below you'll find my "female perspective", but please keep in mind - I did NOT test drive these cars (test drive evals will be at a later date).  I just looked, photographed, touched, sat in the driver's seat and oohed and aahed. Some cars didn't even warrant my attention, others got the once over.

FIRST STOP: BMWi (i8 concept)

This is the car that lured me to the auto show in the first place. I saw the ad for the i8 on Facebook last week. I read the blurb, stared at the pic for a few minutes and then purchased my e-tickets to the auto show. Clearly, facebook ads do work.











Unfortunately (but understandably), this baby was roped off. I would have loved to have seen the interior.  I love the sleekness, exoticness (is that even a word?) and futuristic look of this vehicle. It screams, "look at me". BMW calls this car "the world's most progressive sports car". The catch phrase for this series: "BORN ELECTRIC".  It has a plug-in hybrid design consisting of a combustion engine and an electric-drive system which obviously means less fuel and less emissions. It is constructed from CFRP (Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic): strong as steel, but half as light. BMW got on board with sustainability, yet they managed to include good looks, something most other auto manufacturers missed out on.

i8 Specs
0-62 mph....4.6 secs
wheelbase...110.2 inches
Engine...High performance 3 cylinder TwinPower Turbo, 220hpp
Fuel consumption...~78mpg
Lithium-ion battery
Electric range...20 miles
2+2 seating
Top speed...155 mph
Luggage compartment...5.3 ft

What's the price tag on this beauty? Rumors are between $175k-$200k. OUCH.
The i8 series will be available either late 2013 or early 2014.

P.S. I like the looks of this vehicle more than the Audi R8.

Sindi Wasserberg Lash

No comments:

Post a Comment