2.08.2012

Dude, Where's My Electric Car?

I'm not ready to trade my car in yet. But when it comes time, I may consider an EV (electric vehicle) or a plug-in hybrid (combo electric/gasoline engine). The key word here is MAY.

I have certain expectations of my future "green" vehicle. It has to be pleasing to the eye and have lots of bells and whistles. I know, I'm spoiled. I'm sort of a car snob. I love beautiful cars with sexy lines. I love cars that whisper my name. I love cars that are high-tech and nerdy on the inside but exude class and elegance on the outside. I love cars with pep in their step and ones with excellent sound systems.

If I were in the market for a new EV today I would only consider two - Tesla Model S (all electric) and the Fisker Karma (plug-in hybrid). This decision is based solely on the inner and outer beauty, not the price, the specs or even a test drive. I know, you're thinking "how shallow is this chick?".  I can't help it. There has to be a physical attraction. You get where I'm going with this, right?

                                                                          TESLA MODEL S



                                                                         FISKER KARMA



After researching EV's, reading the test drive evals, comparing specs, viewing their pictures and seeing some in person, I have absolutely no desire to own most of the EV's on the market. I saw the Nissan Leaf the day I went to test drive the Juke. It wasn't calling my name, I wasn't physically attracted to it. Although I was quite curious, I did get a close-up, eye-balled it a few times, peeked at the interior, checked out the sticker price ($37,500), shook my head and moseyed over to the Juke. I've also seen a couple of Chevy Volts ($41,000) on the road. Not a bad looking vehicle, but not one I can see myself driving. I will make a point of heading to the Chevy dealer to get a closer look and perhaps a test drive.

                                                                             NISSAN LEAF




                                                                             CHEVY VOLT


So far I've only seen one Fisker Karma on the road. It was love at first sight. I took a double take. I gawked, mouth open, flies flying in. I want one of these. Oh, but wait, it's only $106,000. A girl can dream, can't she?

My selection is narrowed down to the Tesla Model S. The price is $49,900 (for the 40 kWh battery after the $7,500 federal tax credit; check to see if your state offers a tax credit). Still pretty steep but less then half the price of the Karma. And there's plenty of boring and unattractive vehicles available at this price point.

Here's what $49,900 gets you:

4-door sedan
Seating up to 7 (5 adults + 2 kids)
19" all-season tires
Frameless windows (similar to the Audi A7)
17" touch screen (as Motor Trend calls it, "an iPad on steroids")
160 mile range (twice that of a Nissan Leaf)
368 cubic feet of storage (front and rear trunks)
4 USB ports
8 Airbags
Door handles retract into the body when not in use
0 Tailpipe Emissions
Handles 120v/240v
Costs approx. 2 cents/mile to charge battery
Quiet motor, smooth ride (according to most evals.)










As of November 2011, 6,500 reservations were taken for a $5,000 deposit. Production begins this month. Hmmmm, if I put a deposit down now (fully refundable), I can hopefully get my Model S this fall.

According to Chris Paine (director of Who Killed The Electric Car), "Model S is a remarkably important car. This car shows that it can be done and it will be done."  I say AMEN to that and let's all get over battery anxiety.

No comments:

Post a Comment