3.08.2012

PICK ME, PICK ME, PLEASE PICK ME

I've made it clear time and time again that I'm turned on by sexy, beautiful carz that get my endorphins rolling. I like clean lines, dreamy headlights, European interiors and nice butts, to name a few. I must be attracted to the outside of the car before I get to know the inside. I know, so shallow.

Yesterday my shallowness dissipated some. And I owe it to the Subaru Forester. That's right, the Subaru Forester. That geeky, rugged looking cross-over vehicle that screams "pick me, pick me"!


I didn't wake up yesterday morning and decide to test drive a Subaru Forester. It was never on any of my automotive "must" lists: must see, must test drive or must buy. My gal pal Annie asked me to accompany her on her quest to find the perfect vehicle for her daughter and son-in-law (both doctors, both outdoorsy). Both are interested in the Forester but don't have time to run around test driving carz (boards are coming up). Annie had a Subaru back in the day, was crazy about it and felt this could be the one.

We arrive at South Coast Subaru in Costa Mesa (http://www.southcoastsubaru.com/index.htm) and were greeted by Jehu Alvarado, our friendly and somewhat knowledgeable salesperson. Jehu's fiance just purchased a Forester. Isn't that a coincidence?! Annie tells him she wants to test drive the most maxed out Forester. Five minutes later he pulls up in a turbo charged version with a funny looking, bulbous hood. Looks like a rhino to me.


After Annie and I gawked at the hood, I sarcastically questioned Jehu, "this car really comes in turbo, why?" He chuckled and said, "Subaru doesn't sell many turbo versions".  Understood. We asked Jehu to swap the rhino for a Limited trim. "Sorry", he says, "we don't have any in stock". I asked him to bring us a Forester, any Forester with the standard engine (gas flat 4 cylinder, 2.5L, 170 hp). He arrives with a medium blue Touring trim. We're ready to roll.

Annie takes a quick test drive and loves how it feels (although the braking sensitivity threw her for a loop). A Chinese fire drill ensues and I'm now at the helm. I'm completely taken aback. Although I'm not a fan of the bland and mediocre interior (with the exception of the extra large sunroof), the Forester makes up for it in other important areas (safety, comfort, cargo space, overall roominess).



Now for the ride. I love the balanced and sporty handling and the softness of the ride. The strong acceleration allowed us to climb a hill with ease and I even beat the car next to me right off the line. It felt very stable when taking tight corners and winding roads. The soft cloth seats enveloped me as if I were ready to curl up with a good book (i guess too much comfort can be a bad thing when driving). Am I really driving a Subaru Forester? Yes, yes I am.

Other specs for the Forester Touring:

Standard AWD (great for ski trips)
Gas Mileage: 21 mpg city/27 mpg hwy  (pretty decent)
17" wheels
Heated seats (cuz you need that in California)
USB connection
Back seat folds down flat (room for surfboards)
Sunglasses storage (love)
Consumer reviews: 4 1/2 stars out of 5
Pricing: around $28,000 (excellent price point)

The Forester I drove yesterday whispered to me, "see, you shouldn't judge a book by its cover".

So Sarah and Noah, what color do you want?

2 comments:

  1. If you and Annie loved test driving the Subaru Forester, I’m pretty sure Sarah and Noah will love it even more. Forester is the best for people who are always on the go and enjoy traveling off road. Aside from the large rear hatch cargo, it has also underfloor rear storage, which means more space for your baggage! Plus, it is available with a panoramic moonroof so you can enjoy the air while crossing the countryside.

    *Sebastian Gaydos

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Sebastian: For me, the panoramic moonroof is the best feature that the Subaru Forester offers. I love it because it’s really huge! You and your friends can share the space and enjoy the beautiful view together.

    Erwin Calverley

    ReplyDelete