12.19.2011

I'VE BEEN "JUKED"! Review of the 2012 Nissan Juke

Written by: Sindi Wasserberg Lash


Although the Nissan Juke was introduced last year, I've only seen one on the road. It was at that moment (I did a double-take) I decided I must check out this most unusual and funky looking vehicle. I wondered why Nissan would take a chance by producing a vehicle that looks like a frog not long after it produced a cube.






I've been a fan of Nissan for many years, once owning an '85 Maxima and a '99 Infinity (luxury division of Nissan) QX4. Never had problems with either of those vehicles and enjoyed driving them. I even admire the Altima: its' good looks and all that it has to offer.

I drove to CONNELL NISSAN in Costa Mesa and was greeted by Willy Lopez. My first question to Willy was, "why are all the Jukes hidden in the back, how are you supposed to sell these?". To which he replied, "someone was supposed to bring one up front today, but I did sell one last night". My guess is Nissan is pushing LEAF (electric vehicle) sales. There were three, front and center.

At first glance, I couldn't help but notice the big, round bulging headlights, which obviously gave the Juke its' nickname, Frog. The eye-catching vertical rear door handles also add to the line-up of unusual features. But since I come from the school of thought where you don't judge a book by its' cover, I felt it only fair that I get to know this most unique looking vehicle.



The Juke is a combination of a compact crossover SUV and a sports car. And I use the term sports car very loosely because if you base it on pure looks, then I'll lean more towards the crossover. I'll give it some sports car kudos based on the 1.6L, 188hp, 16-valve turbocharged 4-cylinder engine. It comes in 3 models, the "S", the "SV" and the top of the line "SL". All three come with CVT: continuously variable transmission that acts like an automatic. I chose the "SL" model not only because those are my initials, but because I love driving vehicles with all the bells and whistles. Go big or go home.


I was definitely impressed with the youthful and sporty interior that thankfully didn't give me the dreaded "plastic-y" feel. The center console houses a 5" color touch-screen monitor which was user friendly and fun to play with. It is here where the I-CON (integrated control) and climate control systems are located (I'll further elaborate on the I-CON when discussing the drive). There are two cup holders and a receptacle to hold your sunglasses, cell phone, keys and/or garage opener. Having two cup holders and a large enough receptacle to hold my "stuff" are two features that I demand in my vehicle.

The seating accommodates 5 adults comfortably with ample leg room. Although the cargo space is quite limited, it can easily be increased by folding down the rear seats. So if you have a large family and need room for a stroller, this car is not for you. The SL model comes with a moon roof which, when open, gives the car a roomier feel. I can't imagine driving this car without one.

Because I have a love for music, I will not purchase a vehicle without a decent sound system. In the SL model, there are 6 upgraded (if that's what they want to call it) speakers plus a Rockford Fosgate-powered 8" subwoofer. Whoop-di-do. I was not impressed. It sounded tinny. No more discussion on this.



Now for the drive. The 1.6L turbocharged engine left little to be desired UNTIL I changed from "normal" mode to "sport" mode. The Juke can be driven in three modes: normal, sport and eco. The steering, throttle and transmission response are controlled by a push of a button, depending on your mood. I started out in "normal" mode and expected some decent power right off the line. Sadly the Juke did not deliver. Willy, my salesperson, reminded me to change to the "sport" mode in time for the next red light. Surprisingly enough, the Jukester pulled through! Finally some power! I've been officially juked!

Although there wasn't much traffic for me to weave in and out of, I still felt the tight suspension and the ease of the maneuverability. Steering was very responsive and quite peppy. Braking was smooth and effortless. The all-around visibility was good too.

As far as safety goes, the Juke rates very high with the IIHS. It's one of their top safety picks based on crash-test results. Gas mileage averages are 27mpg for city and 32mpg for highway. I would have expected those numbers to be a little better. But hey, ya can't have everything.

Some other SL features are: rearview camera, heated front seats, keyless entry, fog lights, auto headlights & push-button ignition.

All in all, I like the combination of the boldness and uniqueness of this vehicle. I love the quasi-European styling of the interior. For a top of the line model in the $25K range, you get a lot of car for your money. 



To me, the Juke screams, "I'm different, I'm funky". And you know what? There's nothing wrong with being different and funky.

1 comment:

  1. Direct Drive Sommer Garage Door Opener model 1042V001 is a safe and secure device for you to rely on blindly. This best garage door opener is controlled by a remote, and there is no way anyone would be able to hack this strong security system that it holds for you. Every time you open your sommer 1042v001 garage door with this door opener using the remote, a unique security code is sent to you, which keeps changing every time you open the door. This product comes with two 2-button remotes.

    ReplyDelete