12.09.2011

MY SAVVY NAVI APP!

Written by: Sindi Wasserberg Lash

Are you still printing directions from Mapquest and wasting trees? Shame on you!

My 2007 VW Eos does NOT have built-in Navi, but I do own an iPhone. iPhone=apps=several navi apps to choose from. I chose TomTom. I've had it for 3 years now and absolutely love it! It was worth the $49.99. I did not opt for the traffic update for $20/year and I'm questioning myself as to why I didn't.



TomTom always gets the job done. The quality of the maps are excellent and the routing is good.  All of the map data is stored on your phone so an internet connection isn't needed for routes to be calculated. So if you're in the boonies, this comes in handy.



The TomTom app also ties into local Google listings which is a totally awesome feature (data connection is needed for this).



Another nice feature is the "night mode". The color automatically switches to a darker shade when the calculated local sunset occurs. This makes the app much easier to see during the night.



There's a lot of info to view on such a small screen. On the bottom, starting at the left, you can see your current speed along with the road's speed limit (i find this very handy since I tend to have a lead foot). The arrow depicts the shape and path of the road that you'll be taking. You can see the distance to your next turn (i.e. in 1.7 miles). And finally, off to the right, you can see how much time remains on your trip along with a display of the local time.



The only disadvantages I've experienced are: 1) the updates must be installed from your computer due to the file size, 2) the app is slow to load and 3) the app sucks the life out of your battery. PATIENCE is a virtue and good things come to those who wait, right?

Before you hit the road, you'll need 2 very important accessories.

1) CHARGING CABLE - This app (and probably most others) literally sucks the life out of your battery. Oh, didn't I just mention that?!

2) WINDSHIELD MOUNT - A must have. You'll need a line of sight and have your phone as close to the sky as possible. Placing your iPhone on the passenger seat or even inside your drink holder is NOT a good option. I recommend and use the Kensington Windshield/Vent Mount.





And finally, the TomTom gives turn-by-turn instructions in 38 languages. I chose English AU. Olivia, along with her Aussie accent, has been my traveling BFF for 3 years now and I'd never leave home without her.

No comments:

Post a Comment