12.08.2011

WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH THE PICK-UP TRUCK OBSESSION?

Written by: Sindi Wasserberg Lash


When I first moved to Southern California four years ago, one of the first things I noticed was the overwhelming abundance of pick-up trucks. Coming from a big city like Chicago where pick-ups are pretty rare, I was quite taken aback with this obsession, and I do mean obsession.



I asked myself, "did I move to a farming community where hauling hay and towing Deere equipment is commonplace?" Don't think so. "Are these pick-ups owned by young surfer dudes so they can transport their surfboards?" For some, yes. But why not install a board rack on your economical and green vehicle? Gas mileage isn't that great for these trucks. You'd think that California drivers would be more conscientious about conserving gas.

I also noticed plenty of middle-aged, suit and tie wearing men driving these monsters, decorated with various decals like TAPOUT. Perhaps they'll be hauling their ATV's to the desert for the weekend.



So what's with the pick-up truck phenomenon? I just don't get it. If you're not a farmer, you're not a surfer dude, you're not in construction and you don't have ATV's to haul, please enlighten me.

Here in my neighborhood, I've seen trucks rigged out with pricey rims, enormous tailpipes, special paint, fancy running boards and lift kits, to name a few. Are these owners (who just dished out thousands of dollars on after-market parts) taking their pretty, pimped-out monsters for some off-roading? Highly doubtful.



No matter what people use their pick-ups for, one thing for sure - they're just oozing with testosterone (which leads me to another question, "why on earth do I see so many women driving them too?). This vehicle screams, "I am manly, I need to be noticed and I require steroids and stilts". Is this a version of the Napoleon syndrome?

2 comments:

  1. The rental car agency noticed, took it off because it was against policy, because they were not supposed to rent pickup trucks as tow vehicles - when they took it off they noticed the extra holes drilled, and got an estimate for a new truck frame, they billed this to his credit card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have been searching for used pick up trucks for sale, you have probably wondered if the prices will ever match the condition! Trucks are usually more expensive than cars, even if they are not in the best of condition.

    ReplyDelete